The dream for Zoe began in 2018, when a few women started a conversation on crisis pregnancy and how one woman could support another. There are many women out there who want to support others, but have no training or connection with others looking for someone to listen to them. Many people from various backgrounds recognised the need to provide real, practical support for women in crisis pregnancy. They, like a few of us in the conversation, want to follow the life example of Jesus.
One thing is the same with everyone in this conversation: we all believe in cultivating healthy community to support women in crisis pregnancy or who have had an abortion.
We understand that community isn’t always a given. A lot of women move away from home or don’t have a healthy home life. Many women are at university on their own or have just started careers and do not have many friends yet. Many might feel isolated, afraid and feel shamed in times of crisis. Brene Brown states so clearly what we hope to encourage at Zoe:
“If we can share our story with someone who responds with empathy and understanding,
shame can’t survive.”
Zoe Community has, at its core, a love for the example of Jesus. He rejected society-based shame in exchange for real love and life transformation. This is what we are about. We are about real community and support free from shame.
We are committed to providing our clients with honest, factual information.
We believe that our clients have a right to receive comprehensive information on pregnancy, parenthood, abortion, adoption, contraception and any other reproductive question they might have.
We believe it is important to inform and equip our clients to understand and to make the choices they will live with for the rest of their lives.
We know that women have hard choices to make. We want them to be informed of all the choices they have – not just abortion.
We welcome those from all backgrounds to partake in Zoe, either as a volunteer or a client. We don’t require that you agree with the following beliefs, but that you support our organisation to embrace them. We require that, if you are volunteering with Zoe, you do not actively work against any of our beliefs.
- We have faith in Jesus.
- We believe in people making their own decisions regarding faith.
- We believe in the Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the only way that a person can receive eternal salvation is through a relationship with Jesus.
- We believe that everyone is on a “faith trajectory” toward or away from Jesus. We believe in loving people as they make faith decisions about Jesus, no matter where they exist on this trajectory.
- We believe that no situation is without hope or beyond God’s grace and mercy. We believe that there is nothing that replaces his love in terms of lasting, healing life change.
- We believe that God is the author of humankind and loves every person on earth (born and pre-born). Therefore, we will honour life throughout every stage of human development from conception to natural death.
- We believe that all women are valuable because they are designed to be cherished by our Creator, God. We believe that the value of women is based on their reflection of God’s image.
- We believe in power-giving and power-sharing community between all people. We recognise that we all have a biological desire to grapple for power, but we will choose to follow God’s way of submitting to one another.
- We believe that submission is not forced compliance, but a choice that one person makes to come under another person for the purpose of helping them succeed (how we see “power-sharing”).
- We believe in celebrating all aspects of women’s lives including education, motherhood, work, singleness and marriage.
- We believe that a crisis pregnancy represents a new chapter in a woman’s life. It is not the end of her life.
- We see children as important in our community.
- We believe that being pro-life is a long-term work and we are committed to doing that work.
- We believe in a community of partnership. We will treat everyone with the same level of dignity and kindness.
- We believe in the value of age-appropriate education on the human body, sexuality and contraception. We believe that everyone should make their own informed decisions about whether or not to use contraception. We believe that no one should be pressured into using or not using contraception, and that choice is an entirely personal decision